This Rosh Hashanah, Masorti Conservative Judaism is Under Attack
Here’s the brutal truth, this Rosh Hashanah is like no other. Masorti Israel faces unparalleled threats–a resurgent Coronavirus, the accompanying 20% unemployment and ongoing systemic governmental discrimination against our Conservative Judaism.
Ultra-Orthodox politicians and rabbis promote new laws that would further delegitimize conversions overseen by Masorti rabbis. This means in the Land of Israel, Masorti converts are not recognized religiously as Jews. And this discrimination doesn’t stop there and has important consequences. The Israeli government funds religious activities for the Orthodox and ultra-Orthodox. But not for Masorti.
Rabbis, cantors, congregations, schools, youth programs are funded for the ultra-Orthodox while Masorti Conservative Jews are denied support.
Masorti Israel desperately needs your support. The Orthodox institutions know they have government support to see them through this Coronavirus economic crisis. Masorti knows they do not. Masorti Israel only has us.
For all Israeli Jews to live full and meaningful Jewish lives, we must sustain the Masorti Movement to:
- Keep open the doors (physical and virtual) of our Conservative communities
- Ensure access to the egalitarian Kotel for prayer and celebrations
- Nurture our young people and their love of Judaism
- Celebrate Masorti-officiated marriages and conversions
- Continue the fight for full recognition of our clergy by the Israeli government
- Guarantee full inclusion in Jewish life for kids with disabilities
- Advocate for all Conservative converts, including Jews of Color like the Abayudaya
- Create loving, accepting religious environments for LGBTQ people
Your support this Rosh Hashahah empowers Masorti Israel rabbis from the Negev to the Galilee to create a more Jewish, more democratic Israel — one where Jewish tradition, inclusion, equality and justice prevail for all.
The Jewish people have come through so many difficult times by pulling together. We’ve never wavered from our belief in Klal Yisrael — that all Jews are responsible for one another — whether they live in Israel or the Diaspora.
Masorti Israel depends on you. Please make a generous gift this Rosh Hashanah. Your dollars are urgently needed to create an Israel where every Jewish person feels welcomed in 5781 and for generations to come.
We wish you and your family a happy, and most importantly, healthy New Year.